Monday's with Mom 7 Layer Salad



One of my favorite salads that my mom used to make was the old fashioned, ever present pot luck favorite....THE 7 Layer Salad!

This salad was present at just about every function up north while I was growing up, right beside the hot dish and jello. It's such an easy salad to bring anywhere, and of course it tastes GREAT!

I'm not so sure about the 7 layers though. This used to bother me when I was little....as I would count the layers and always came up with more than were in the salad! Mom's recipe has 8 if you count the topping as one layer, and the cheese as another layer. And most people throw whatever they have on hand in....like chopped eggs, tomatoes, etc. making even more layers!

Regardless of how many layers, it's always a hit. It looks beautiful in a glass bowl, but back then, I ALWAYS saw it in a 9x13 pan, and that's how I make it too. 







7 Layer Salad

1 head of lettuce, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 package frozen peas,thawed
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped red or green pepper

Topping:
1 1/4 c. real mayo
2/3 c. Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp. sugar

In a 9 x13 glass pan, layer the lettuce, onion, peas, bacon,celery and peppers. Mix the mayo, Parmesan cheese and sugar. Spread over all, and sprinkle with shredded cheddar. Refrigerate until chilled.

1 comment:

Ali @ Jamhands.net said...

This was really tasty :) I did have to make more of the topping to get a good layer of it. I think the head of lettuce I used was gigantic cause it took up the entire 9x13 pan with pretty much no room left, haha. Thanks for the recipe!